I was surprised by how much we enjoyed this recipe. Neither Dave or I are huge pretzel lovers, so I wasn't sure how this would work out. I had leftover pretzels from the Christmas pretzel treats that I made, and I wanted to use them so that the chip clip could be put to better use. We love honey mustard and Alton Brown, so there was no doubt in my mind, that addition was going to make this recipe. This is another success that will be added into our weekly dinner rotation. I was originally going to make the pretzel chicken recipe in my Rachael Ray cookbook, but as with many RR recipes, it called for quite a few ingredients that I thought could be simplified. Then, I found this recipe on Joelen's blog-What's Cookin Chicago? and knew this one would work out better.
You will need:
*1/4 cup all purpose flour
*1 cup crushed or processed pretzels of any variety
(I just bagged mine and pounded them to have a thicker coating)
*oil for sauteing
*4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (I always use cutlets for stove top recipes)
*salt and ground pepper to taste
*garlic powder to taste
1. You will need 3 shallow dishes. In one, whisk the egg with the 1 tablespoon of water. In the second, place the flour. And in the final dish, place the crushed/processed pretzels.
2. Heat a skillet over medium low heat with the 1/4 olive oil. While the oil is heating, season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. Dredge the seasoned chicken breast in flour and shake off excess. Dip the chicken breast in the egg wash and then press it into the crushed pretzels to cover both sides.
3. When oil is hot, carefully place the crusted chicken breasts in the hot oil and fry until browned on both sides. This should take about 5 -7 minutes, but will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken.
4. Serve warm with the honey mustard sauce below.
Honey Mustard Sauce
recipe taken from Joelen who adapted it from Alton Brown
You will need:
*5 tablespoons honey
*3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
*2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Serve over the pretzel chicken or on the side.