Friday, February 12, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

I have never been a fan of meatloaf. Dave, however, does like to eat it from time to time. When I saw this recipe, I knew that it was something we would have to try. It also gave me an excuse to use my new mini loaf pan! I found this recipe on The Novice Chef, who saw it on Erin's Food Files, and it is adapted from The Biggest Loser Cookbook. I was pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed this. It was a nice change of pace weeknight dinner. We were also shocked at the serving size. Two slices out of 8 (or mini loaves in my case) were a serving. I couldn't eat two, and Dave was stuffed after both. The leftovers made a great lunch. If you like buffalo chicken, I suggest you try this.

You will need:
Olive oil spray
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup hot sauce, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat blue cheese

1) Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a nonstick loaf pan with olive oil spray. (As mentioned before, I used my mini loaf pan. You could also use a muffin pan if you wanted.)

2) Combine the oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl, and mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes or until oats are softened.

3) Stir in hot sauce until well mixed. Add chicken, celery, onion, egg whites, and salt. With a fork, mix the ingredients well. Add blue cheese and gently mix.

4) Transfer the mixture to pan and spread so that top is flat. Sprinkle a couple shakes of hot sauce on top and spread evenly. Bake 35 to 40 mins (or until chicken is no longer pink).

5) Cut into 8 slices. Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment