We have had this dinner a few times. It is something that Dave often requests, so I take that to mean that he really likes it! Because I use whole wheat spaghetti, it is often more a brown/maroon tone. If you used white pasta, I imagine that the color would be a bit more vibrant. We love the little kick that this pasta gets from the red pepper flakes. I found this recipe on Pink Parsley who adapted it from Food and Wine. Another filling and simple weeknight dinner.
You will need:
* 5 cups water
* 3 1/4 cups dry red wine (I use Pinot Noir)
* 3/4 pound spaghetti (I use whole wheat or whole grain varieties)
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (I use minced garlic)
* 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
* 1 cup walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
* Freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine the water with 3 cups of the wine in a medium saucepan. Add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
2.Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente, stirring often. Drain and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.
3. Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and red pepper, and season with salt. Cook over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/4 cup wine and the reserved cooking liquid and bring to a simmer.
4. Stir in the pasta and continue cooking to absorb most of the liquid. This will take about 2 minutes.
5. Mix in the parsley, nuts, 1/2 cup cheese, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve with additional cheese if desired.