Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Green Vanilla Cupcakes

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!
I know that I am a few hours early, but I wanted to be sure to share these cupcakes in time for the holiday. I found this recipe on Picky Palate and was excited to see how easy these treats were. This past weekend was a rainy and windy mess. That did not, however, stop the fun tradition that is Boston's Southie Parade! I brought these cupcakes to my friends' apartment to enjoy during the Irish festivities. I used food coloring to add some green to these vanilla cupcakes. You could use a decorating paste to achieve a deeper green color. Even when March 17th passes, I still think these would be a tasty dessert.

For the cupcakes you will need:
*1 Box yellow cake mix
*4 eggs
*1/2 Cup water
*1/2 Cup vegetable oil
*1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
*1/2 Cup plain yogurt or sour cream
*green food coloring

For the frosting you will need:
*8 oz softened cream cheese
*1 stick softened butter
*1 lb powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a mixing bowl, add cake mix, eggs, water, oil, pudding, and yogurt. Mix on medium speed for 1 1/2 minutes.
3. Slowly beat in drops of green food coloring until you get your desired shade of green. (As mentioned above, decorating paste will make a richer color)
4. Scoop batter into paper lined muffin tins. Bake for about 18 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool completely.

To make the frosting:
Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar until creamy and thick. Frost the cooled cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment