Sometimes, I think that we could eat Italian every night of the week. One combination I love is alfredo sauce mixed with tomato sauce. As soon as I saw this recipe on the Delish blog, I knew that they would be even better topped with some tomato sauce after baking. Alfredo sauce is tasty, but the overwhelming amount of butter and cream does not often sit well for me. I used a lighter alfredo sauce that I found on Stephanie Cooks. This made a filling, tasty dinner, and we had enough leftovers for lunch throughout the week. If I was to make this recipe again, I would not cook the lasagna roll ups as long because mine seemed to dry out a bit.
First, I made the alfredo sauce.
You will need:
*1-1/4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
*4 tsp. flour
*1/3 cup PHILADELPHIA 1/3 Less Fat than Cream Cheese
*3 Tbsp. Parmesan Cheese, divided
*1/8 tsp garlic powder
*1/8 tsp. pepper
*2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1) Beat the broth and flour in medium saucepan with a whisk until well blended. Add the cream cheese, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan, nutmeg, garlic powder, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until mixture comes to boil and thickens, stirring constantly. (This took awhile for me. Although, I think it is a fault of my own because that always happens with cream sauces!)
Now for the lasagna rolls...
You will need:
* 1 lb. chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
* 4 oz. softened cream cheese
* 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped fine
* 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped (omitted because I am an accommodating wife)
* 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese, plus more for topping
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. black pepper
* 2 tbs. fresh chopped Italian parsley
* 2 cloves minced garlic
* 8-10 lasagna noodles, cooked as directed and cooled slightly (I cooked these as I made the alfredo)
* 2 cups Alfredo Sauce
*1 cup of tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, spinach, mushrooms, cheese, salt, pepper, parsley & garlic.
3. Spread a ladle or two of Alfredo sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
4. Lay out one lasagna noodle on cutting board, spread about 1/4 cup of the mixture along the noodle and roll up from one end to the other. Lay the roll seam side down in the Alfredo sauce.
5. Repeat with remaining noodles and filling, laying each in the sauce. Then, top the rolls with mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake in oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through and cheese is browned slightly on top.
7. Heat the tomato sauce and top as desired.