Monday, March 8, 2010

Buttermilk Bread

I had buttermilk on hand from a previous recipe. Buttermilk is not something I use regularly, and when a recipe calls for it I typically mix some milk and vinegar. I searched recipes to use up my remaining supply of this rare to my fridge product, and I found this on Stephanie Cooks (she found it in Cooking Light). It made a quick and tasty bread loaf. This is the first time I have made any loaf that was not banana bread! This was great with some jam on it for breakfast. Dave and I also enjoyed it plain as an afternoon snack. Then again, I think we could both eat any kid of bread at any time of day, so maybe not everyone enjoys that!

You will need:
*2 cups all purpose flour
*2 tablespoons sugar
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1.5 cups low-fat buttermilk
*1/4 cup butter, melted
*2 large egg whites
*cooking spray

1) Preheat the oven to 350.
2) Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; whisk to combine.
3) Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour the buttermilk, butter, and egg whites into the well. Whisk to combine just until moist.
4) Pour mixture into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
5) Bake for 45 minutes.
6) Allow to cool in the pan on top of a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
7) Remove the bread from the pan, allow to thoroughly cool before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment