Saturday, December 26, 2009

Gingerbread Biscotti


Merry Christmas! I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday. We sure did! In preparation for many Christmas celebrations, I did a lot of baking over this past week. This gingerbread biscotti was one of my favorite things that I made. It was perfect with a cup of coffee on Christmas morning. This recipe is from Annie's Eats. Her recipes and photos always seem appealing! I saved this recipe and had kind of forgotten about it. Once I found the cinnamon chips at the grocery store, they sparked my memory. I highly recommend you try this soon.

You will need:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
(*The original recipe called for 1 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. I didn't have any wheat flour so I added a cup of all-purpose)
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 bag Hershey’s cinnamon chips
1/4 cup molasses
2 large eggs
2 cups chocolate chips or coarsely chopped chocolate, for dipping

Directions:
1) Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

2) Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices and cinnamon chips in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low speed until combined.

3)In a small bowl, combine eggs with molasses and stir well. With the mixer on low speed, pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

4) Divide the dough into two equal halves* and form into two 10-inch logs on the prepared baking sheets, at least 4 inches apart. Bake for about 30 minutes, then allow to cool for 10 minutes.
*I think I would do this different next time. I liked the size of the candy cane biscotti a bit better; it made it easier to gift. I think I may try making three logs when I make these again.

5) Using a long serrated knife slice each log into 3/4-inch to 1-inch pieces on the diagonal. Separate on the baking sheet so that the sides are not touching. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.

6) Once the biscotti is completely cool, place chopped chocolate or chocolate chips in a double boiler and melt until smooth. (I used Baker's white chocolate and topped it with some red and green sugar topping) Dip half of each biscotti into the chocolate, shake gently to remove excess, and place on the parchment covered baking sheet to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment