Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chicken in Walnut Sauce

It's the dark time of year again. It is dark when I am heading to work and it is dark as I am leaving work. The morning is such a struggle. I am sure each day that my alarm must be wrong. This weekend we turn the clocks, and while I am sad to lose daylight earlier, I need to see some sun in the morning. One positive to these darker, cooler days is my desire to cook us a warm home-cooked meal each evening. Too bad my already struggling food photography turns even worse in the dark dinner hour.

This recipe was another success from Stephanie Cooks. It came together nicely, and we enjoyed this chicken with a side of green beans.

You will need:
*1 teaspoon olive oil
*2 boneless chicken breasts
*1/3 cup finely chopped onion
*1 garlic clove, minced
*1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
*2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
*1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
*1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
*1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
*1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (I forgot!)
*1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (I used rice vinegar)
*1/4 teaspoon salt
*1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook several minutes on each side until browned. (Timing will vary depending on thickness of chicken breast)

2. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes or until tender, stirring constantly. Add walnuts; cook 1 minute or until toasted and fragrant, stirring constantly.

3. Combine flour, cinnamon, and red pepper, and sprinkle over walnuts, stirring to coat. Add the broth with a whisk. Return chicken to pan; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is slightly thick.

4. Stir in parsley, vinegar, salt, and black pepper, bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment