Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Overnight French Toast

I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving and a long weekend off from work. We had a wonderful holiday with our families, and we were lucky enough to have good friends come and stay with us for the weekend. It was a fabulous way to kick off the holiday season! I made new recipes for the holiday, but I did not get photos of any of them. I plan on repeating an appetizer soon, so I will post that recipe once I have a picture.

After spending a lot of time prepping Thanksgiving dinner, I didn't want to miss time with our weekend visitors to be in the kitchen. I had bookmarked this recipe on She Cooks and Bakes a long time ago. It seemed like the perfect thing to make before bed, and then I'd only have to heat in the morning. This recipe did not disappoint. Both the adults and children enjoyed it. I sent Dave to pick up the bread and wasn't specific enough. If I was to make this recipe again, I would get bread that was a bit wider to make a larger serving. These smaller cuts, however, were perfect for our toddler friends.

I omitted a few things from the recipe including added sugar, and it still came out really well. Here's how I made it.
You will need:
*1 loaf soft French bread (or any bread you desire)
*2 tbsp salted butter, softened
*6 eggs
*1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
*1 tsp vanilla extract
*1 teaspoon cinnamon
*1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

For serving:
*Maple syrup
*Powdered sugar

1. Prepare a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or lightly oil.

2. Cut 12 slices of bread about 1 inch think. Lightly butter one side of each piece of bread. Arrange bread buttered sides up in one layer in prepared dish.

3. In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt until combined. Pour over bread and cover and refrigerate overnight.

4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

5. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until the toast is cooked the way you like it. Serve with powdered sugar and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment