Monday, July 29, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Tacos

The Smitten Kitchen cookbook was on my holiday wishlist. As with most of my gifts this past year, I was lucky enough to get two! I passed one copy on to a coworker to enjoy. I am terrible with cookbooks. I get them and read through them eagerly tagging things I want to make. Then the book gets placed on a shelf upstairs and ignored. My menu planning tends to come from other blogs, Pinterest, monthly cooking magazines, and recipes from here. I am (yet again) making more of an effort to cook from my recipe book collection. This was a recent Meatless Monday meal from the SK Cookbook. If you've read through the blog you know that we love tacos. This is a great twist for a meatless taco night. This recipe made a lot of tacos. We enjoyed them for dinner and some lunches. The filling reheated better than I expected.

You will need:
*3 pound spaghetti squash
*2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
*1 teaspoon chili powder
*1/2 teaspoon cumin
*1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
*1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
*corn tortillas

Suggested toppings:
*15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
*4 oz feta, crumbled
*1/4 cup red onion, diced
*1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
*hot sauce, if desired

1. Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half and scrape out the seeds. (I usually poke numerous holes with a fork and microwave the squash for a few minutes to make cutting easier) You can then roast the two halves or microwave them until tender. If roasting, cook face down on an olive oil lined baking pan in an oven set to 400 for about 40 minutes. In the micro, place face down on a shallow plate with some water and cook for about 10-15 minutes. Use a fork to scrape the cooked squash in a bowl.

2. While squash is cooking, mix lime juice, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and salt together in a small bowl.  Add to cooked spaghetti squash and toss thoroughly. Taste squash and adjust seasoning as needed.

3. Blister corn tortillas in a dry pan.

4. Use the squash as your base and add desired toppings. We enjoyed the toppings listed above.

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to make these, I just haven't gotten around to it. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete