Thursday, December 30, 2010

Gingerbead Cookies

I wanted to share one more holiday treat before the new year. I had plans of sharing some more, but then I left my camera at a friend's house all week! These cookies were a last minute addition to my holiday gift tins. My father loves gingerbread cookies at Christmas, so I am trying to get him to expand his tastes from the slice and bake variety he buys each year. This is the first time I ever made gingerbread cookies, and believe it or not, it's also the first time I've used cookie cutters this decade! I had so much fun covering the counter in flour and dough and putting our rolling pin to good use. I loved the spice of these cookies, and I can see myself using this recipe for years to come. I found this recipe posted on Annie's Eats.

You will need:
*4 cups all-purpose flour
*
1 tsp. salt

*1½ tsp. baking powder
*
½ tsp. baking soda
*
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
*
1 ½ tsp. ground cloves

*2 tsp. ground ginger
*
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
*
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature

*1 cup sugar
*
1 cup molasses

*1 large egg

1. 
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices to combine. Set aside.

2. In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the molasses and egg until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Cover the bowl and chill the dough for at least one hour.

3. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.

4. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured work surface to about ¼-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place the cookie shapes onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.

5. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment