Recipe orginally from A Cup Full of Cake
For the cupcakes, you will need:
*1/2 cup butter room temp
*2 cups sugar
*2 eggs, room temp
*1/2 tsp salt
*2-1/2 tsp baking powder
*3 cups all-purpose flour
*1/4 cup buttermilk
*1 1/4 cup Cosmopolitan ( recipe below)
*zest of 1 lime
*Optional red paste or gel food coloring- if you would like a reddish tint to the cake (I used pink dye)
1. Allow all ingredients to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line muffin pans with cupcake papers.
2. With a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat until well combined. Add the lime zest and buttermilk.
3. Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside
4. Make the cosmopolitan (recipe below) and measure out 1 1⁄2 cups in a separate bowl.
5. Add in 1 cup each of the dry and wet mixtures alternately, beating on low until the whole mixture is well combined.
6. Fill cups with batter two-thirds full. Bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until cupcakes spring back in the middle when touched lightly. Cool for 10 minutes in pan.
7. Next, make the glaze (I think I may skip this step next time)
Heat the 1 1/2 cup cosmopolitan over medium heat until thickened and slightly reduced. Poke cupcakes with a fork and brush with cranberry/vodka glaze when cupcakes are still slightly warm.
8. Allow cupcakes to cool completely. Frost with the frosting listed below.
Cosmopolitan Buttercream Recipe
For the frosting, you will need:
*3 sticks (1 1/2 cup) butter room temp
*4 cups confectioner’s sugar
*1 tsp lime zest
*3-4 tbsp of the Cosmopolitan (or more until you reach desired consistency)
*coloring if desired- I used more pink dye
1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
2. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time beating well with each addition. Add the salt and mix in the zest.
3. Add the Cosmopolitan one tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.
Garnish with lime zest, lime wedges, sugar crystals, or anything else you'd like to use. Enjoy!
Cosmopolitan Cocktail Recipe
You will need: