Monday, October 29, 2012
Spicy Bean Burritos
This is another simple, meatless Monday meal. Mondays are meeting nights for me at school so I usually get a later start on dinner. These burritos don't look like much but we really enjoyed them. I cook with black beans a lot and the addition of pinto beans in this recipe was a nice change of pace. I used the version of this recipe that I found on Annie's Eats.
You will need:
*2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*1 teaspoon chili powder
*1 teaspoon minced chipotle in adobo sauce
*1 teaspoon ground cumin
*1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
*dash cayenne pepper
* 1/3 cup broth or water
* 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
*4-6 tablespoons salsa
* 6 flour tortillas, warmed
Optional Toppings: shredded cheese , diced tomatoes , shredded romaine lettuce , chopped scallions, and sour cream or Greek yogurt
1. Make the bean filling: heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, salt, and cayenne; cook just until fragrant (30-60 seconds). Add the beans and the water or broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the salsa and mash the mixture with a fork.
2. Spoon about a third of a cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each tortilla as desired. Roll the tortilla up burrito style and serve immediately.