Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sausage and Pumpkin Pasta

Happy Halloween!

I am not sure why, but I feel like I must eat pumpkin in my dinner on Halloween. It just feels right to enjoy a savory fall appropriate meal in between trick-or-treaters. Of course dessert is often an assortment of candy with a heavy hand on the Reeses cups! 
 
Here's a great seasonal dinner to enjoy any time this fall. I tend to make and post mostly weeknight recipes and this one is no exception. I found this recipe on Prevention RD and I just changed a few ingredients based on what we had in the house.

The night we enjoyed this recipe the ground started shaking. Really. That was the first earthquake either of us ever felt. I often have memories connected to foods and I think when I remake this dish I'll always think of that minor earthquake and our shock when the couch started moving.

You will need:
*8 oz dry whole wheat pasta

*1/2 lb Italian chicken sausage links, coin sliced (we used a bit more to finish a package)

*1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
*
1 medium onion, diced
*
4 garlic cloves, minced

*1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
*1 cup canned pumpkin

*1 teaspoon rubbed sage
*
1/4 teaspoon salt

*1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

*1/4 teaspoon pepper

*1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

*1 Tbsp dried parsley flakes

1. Boil water and cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain & set aside.

2. White pasta is cooking, lightly oil a large skillet and cook the sausage, onions, and mushrooms over medium heat until the sausage is fully cooked. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.

3. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, sage, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened.

4. Serve pasta topped with about 1/4 of the sauce. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon grated parmesan and a pinch of parsley flakes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment