Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Salad

I love fall, pumpkin, and apples. However, I am not ready to cook fall foods just yet. The weather is holding on here. And while I enjoy cooler temperatures in the classroom, the 60s are not enough to make me think fall in New England! Maybe I will have another view next week (or as soon as the grocery store is stocking Libby's pumpkin again).

I made this salad a few times this summer. It is a simple, fresh side to compliment any BBQ event. The recipe was shared with me by a friend who brought it to my house to make for a bridal shower. You can find a link to the All Recipes original here. With nice weather still kicking around, I highly recommend you give this a try before the fall season is in full swing.

You will need:
*1/3 cup fresh lime juice
*1/2 cup olive oil (I only used about a tablespoon)
*1 clove garlic, minced
*1 teaspoon salt
*1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
*2 cans black beans (each 15 oz), rinsed and drained
*1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
*1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
*1 red bell pepper, chopped (a variety of colored bell peppers looks nice too)
*2 tomatoes, chopped
*6 green onions, thinly sliced
*1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

1) Combine lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed, or whisk together rapidly.

2)
In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro.

3) Mix the lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to mix. Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment