Friday, November 15, 2013

Recipe Swap: Lighter Creamy Garlic Pasta



It's recipe swap time again. I'm thankful to participate in these swaps since they remind me about this little old blog I have here. Sarah over at Taste of Home Cooking hosts these What's Cooking swaps. This month's theme was vegetarian recipes. I was assigned the blog Cookaholic Wife and decided to try this pasta recipe. I didn't make a true vegetarian recipe because I used chicken stock since it's what we had on hand and what the original recipe called for. That could easily be swapped out for a vegetable stock to keep this vegetarian. This pasta dish came together quickly and was a perfect comfort dish. It would thicken more with a heavier milk, but I loved it just the way it was.

You will need:
*1 tablespoon butter
*4 cloves garlic, minced
*1 teaspoon olive oil
*pinch of salt and pepper
*3 cups fat-free low sodium chicken broth
*3/4 cup milk (I used skim)
*1/2 pound linguine
*1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
*fresh parsley, minced, optional (I ended up using some dried parsley topping)

1. Heat the butter, garlic and olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Stir frequently so the garlic doesn't burn.
2. Once the butter has melted fully, add the salt, pepper, chicken broth, and milk. Bring to a boil.
3. Add the linguine and allow to cook according to package directions, stirring frequently so the mixture doesn't boil over.
4. Once fully cooked, stir in the cheese then remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Serve with additional cheese and parsley if desired.





4 comments:

  1. Mmm! Lighter and creamy in the same description? I am all about that! This looks yummy and comforting. Love pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this recipe. So good and easy!

    ReplyDelete